Sunday, January 29, 2012

Whole Wheat Brioche

This recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. This doctor and pastry chef duo have written a number of cookbooks full of recipes for easy no-knead breads. For most of the recipes, you spend a few minutes mixing up a large batch of dough, let it rise for two hours, and then put it in the fridge. Then, when you're ready to bake a loaf, you take out a portion of the dough, let it rise, and bake it. The batch of dough can stay in the fridge for one to two weeks, depending on the recipe. HBin5, as they call it, is the second in the series, which is focused on whole grain breads. I have made several recipes from this cookbook and enjoyed all of them, but still found it hard to believe that whole wheat brioche could actually be good. I imagined it would be decent, but would likely be too dense or otherwise not brioche-like. Turns out, I was wrong. I whipped up a loaf yesterday and it is DELICIOUS. I won't pretend this is healthy because it's whole wheat. It is still brioche after all and has plenty of eggs, butter, and honey. However, it is certainly healthier than traditional brioche made with all white flour. Now that I know this recipe is good, I can't wait to try Jeff and Zoe's recipe for pumpkin pie brioche. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment